Yelp

Style

Photography

Health & Fitness

A Week in Cell Phone Food Pictures

Thursday, March 18, 2010





At the Ostrich Farm in Solvang I picked up this Emu egg to bring home to my egg loving family.   Here it's pictured. It's equivalent to 8-10 regular eggs.

On St. Patrick's day, to celebrate my married Irish roots, we met up with friends at the Crab Pot in Alamitos Bay where the Corned Beef and Cabbage was $1 a plate, green beer $2 a cup and Guiness for $3 a bottle.

My family went to China without me 2 years ago.  They came back with tales of Xiao Long Bao, the Shanghai Steamed Dumplings that come with a signature broth held in the thin packaging of dumpling skin.  Canaan Restaurant in Cerritos, a Taiwanese place, is one of 2 restaurants in my city that offer it.  My brother and sister said it was comparable to the Chinese version, just less greasy.

My brother insisted on getting what they thought was a crispy chicken dish: Black Pepper chicken.  It was neither crispy nor spicy.  And quite honestly, it was overshadowed by the Typhoon Soft-shell Crab below.

This was delicious.  Deep fried with an airy batter, crispy with onion, chili deliciousness.  A whole plate for only $12.95.  A steal I tell you!  The only problem was that the tender nature of the crab and the large amount of batter made it hard to distinguish what was flour and what was crab.  Plus, no roe :(

0 comments:

 

2009 ·Nass Eats by TNB